Thursday, August 03, 2017

A Sense of Light and Heat.

I am gearing up for a glorious painting trip to France.  Six weeks in my mobile studio (which is a lot more salubrious than the last van I went to France in.  This time we live in colourful luxury and the painting gear has a space of its own, in other words, we don't have to sleep curled up around easels and rolls of paper.
This picture, is a work in progress, large-ish, 80 x 60 cm, it is me warming up to try to capture a sense of light and heat in Provence.
This is it in an early stage.  I love seeing how paintings develop, its fascinating for me to see the marks that I make, which bits do I think are important, how does my painting handwriting look.  Its me without makeup...if I wore any!
Here is a finished work, my Mothers garden in the Cotswolds, again trying to capture that sense of light.  On the French painting trip I shall be painting a lot of Plein Air work, which I will blog and post up as they are done.  Alongside that I am hoping to make a few larger paintings, like these ones.  I hope that you will follow my progress.
Starting in the Brittany, then down to the Vendee, then towards the Camargue, paying homage to Vincent in Arles, then following his journey north to Auvers-sur-Oise.  On the way I shall be visiting a lot of French gardens, including Monet's at Giverny,  and trying to capture that elusive sense of light and heat.

No comments: